Between this amazing planet we live on, the relationships we want to cultivate and maintain, the sheer volume of available free content out there, and the other tasks we have to do on a regular basis to keep up, it seems pretty reasonable to say it’s possible to have a very productive and enjoyable weekend doing free things, before you ever have a chance to spend some money. Here are 50 of them:
Learning and Entertainment
- Go to the library. Get a library card. Check out books, audiobooks, movies, etc.
- Read a book you already own but haven’t read yet…or need to read again.
- Watch a movie you already own…or have at your fingertips through a streaming service you already pay for.
- Look through old photos.
- Play cards or a board game.
- Listen to music.
- Listen to podcasts.
- Watch YouTube videos.
- Watch TED Talks.
- Read articles online.
- Find and attend a free concert or other event near you.
- Go to a nearby park.
- Take a long walk around your neighborhood.
- Go for a hike.
- Build a fire.
- Go camping.
- Go for a bike ride.
Around The House
- Clean out a closet.
- Find 100 things someone else could use more than you. Donate them.
- Do some household chores.
- Throw in a load of laundry.
- Change that light bulb or those batteries you’ve been meaning to.
- Do some yard work.
- Make your bed.
- Put pictures in those still empty picture frames.
- Hang up those frames, and other art, you’ve been meaning to.
- Write a letter to someone.
- Call a friend or family member to catch up.
- Perform an act of kindness/service for someone in need.
- Have people over. Pop some popcorn. Talk.
- Email someone whose work you follow and admire, just to say thank you.
- Do (almost) any of the things on this list WITH someone.
- Try a new recipe using ingredients you already have on hand.
- Do a free-write.
- Make a list of your Top 10 Favorite Memories (or top 10 foods, vacations, movies, etc.)
- Make some art. (Try Newspaper Blackout.)
- Get your inbox to zero.
- Update and review your calendar.
- Ensure your to-do list is up to date.
- Delete apps on your phone that distract you or that you no longer use.
- Increase your 401(k) contribution.
- Calculate your net worth.
- Go through that pile of mail.
- Ensure your photos and important documents are backed up.
Take Time For Self-Care
- Meditate. (Try Headspace)
- Do some push-ups and crunches.
- Go for a run.
- Write down a list of 100 things you’re grateful for.
- Stretch and/or do some yoga.
- Go to bed early.