Rather than list every book I read in 2018 as I did in 2016 and 2017, this year I thought I would share only my favorites to help narrow down my recommendations. So, here you go, my favorite books I read in 2018! (Of course, you can always keep up with my book recommendations throughout the year here.)
Best Fiction Books:
- buy generic modafinil online Lamictal online Her Every Fear might be the scariest book of fiction I’ve ever read. If you like thrill and suspense, read this! I think I might even be ready to read it again myself.
- Turtles All The Way Down is the first fictional book I can remember reading that really describes what it’s like to live with anxiety and the spiral of one’s own thoughts. It takes these real-life struggles that many people live with every day and weaves them into a fun and beautiful story.
- Check out Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow if you like Harry Potter and are looking for a new series to read. Book 2 came out in November of this year, so if you like Nevermoor, Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow will be waiting for you to read next!
Best Nonfiction Books:
- I fully recommend all three of these books!
- Born A Crime isn’t about how Trevor Noah became famous. Rather, it’s about growing up in South Africa as a mixed race child during pre- and post-Apartheid. It is funny, informative, and completely moving.
- Educated is nuts – to sum it up in a word. If you like Glass Castle, you’ll like this.
- “Born to survivalists in the mountains of Idaho, Tara Westover was seventeen the first time she set foot in a classroom. Her family was so isolated from mainstream society that there was no one to ensure the children received an education, and no one to intervene when one of Tara’s older brothers became violent. When another brother got himself into college, Tara decided to try a new kind of life.”
- Bad Blood tells the story of Elizabeth Holmes, the supposed “female Steve Jobs” of the medical industry whose company, Theranos, was a complete fraud. It’s a fascinating book that reads more like fiction. I couldn’t put it down!
- I’ve also read that a movie is in the works, which will feature Jennifer Lawrence as Elizabeth Holmes. I can’t wait!
Best Self-Improvement Books:
- While these two books are not quite the page-turners that the other books listed are, they did inspire me to take action and make real, worthwhile changes.
- Deep Work: “Deep work is the ability to focus without distraction on a cognitively demanding task. It’s a skill that allows you to quickly master complicated information and produce better results in less time.”
- I was able to get more into this book as I read it because of the things I was reading — it’s really hard to pick up your phone while reading after you’ve read 100 pages all about the benefits of deep work and focus!
- This book presents “a series of four ‘rules,’ for transforming your mind and habits to support this skill:”
- Rule #1: Work Deeply
- Rule #2: Embrace Boredom
- Rule #3: Quit Social Media
- Rule #4: Drain the Shallows
- Atomic Habits: “If you’re having trouble changing your habits, the problem isn’t you. The problem is your system,” and this book teaches you how to build successful systems.
- Here’s a great podcast interview with the author, James Clear, if you want to start there.
What Did I Miss?
I always appreciate those who continue to share book recommendations with me – and reach out after reading a book I’ve recommended. It makes for great conversation and continues to give me great options for what to read next! So thank you! Did I miss any stand-out books you’ve read recently? I’d love to learn your favorites.